Is the iPad losing ground as king of the tablet world? Recent ad network traffic says it may be so.
While its users still account for the lion’s share of North American tablet traffic, the ubiquitous iPad is losing some ground to competitors, according to D. B. Hebbard in TalkingNewMedia.
Hebbard cites information from a study by Chitika Insights that references web traffic from traffic owners on its own ad network. And it appears that Samsung is leading the growth trend.
“While both Amazon and Microsoft experienced the largest post-Christmas share increases in web traffic from tablets, both reverted back to their pre-holiday levels later on. Web traffic from Samsung tablet owners, though, grew by 2.2 percent year-over-year, the largest gain by any of the tablet makers,” writes Hebbard.
Is Apple worried?
Judging from the enormous leader gap they enjoy (78.2% of the pie, with the remaining 21.8% being split among 12 other contenders), probably not. They recently announced “record quarterly revenue of $57.6 billion and quarterly net profit of $13.1 billion, or $14.50 per diluted share,” according to Apple’s first quarter results report.
We find the post-holiday spike interesting, but not surprising. The typical Apple user tends to be a consistent and voracious consumer of all things digital, while the non-Apple tablets are going to late adopters. This may explain the temporary spike — and its return to pre-holiday levels as the novelty wears off.
Still, Apple needs to pay close attention as comparable (and less expensive) devices like those being created by Samsung become mainstream, or they may find their crown continuing to slip bit by bit.